Last Updated:

8 Jun 2020

Monkseaton Brewery

Monkseaton, North Tyneside

55.041572, -1.461464

This is a

Brewery

Founded in 

1803

Current status is

Demolished

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Site is now the Monkseaton Arms

'The first mention of a brewery with malting and adjoining dwelling house at this site was in a Newcastle Courant sale advertisemen in 1803. In 1804, the house and outbuildings were surrendered to Samuel Hurry of North Shields to whom the new Whitley brewery had been surrendered in 1794. In 1814 William Clark, Ann Snowdon and Thomas Hutchinson were listed as common brewers at Monkseaton Brewery, holding the lease for one year. On 28th November 1826 it was advertised for sale in the Newcastle Courant, described as a lucrative business. In 1920 the Trustees of Monkseaton Brewery conveyed the premises to the Northumberland Brewery Co, Gateshead. By 1934 the brewery was no longer in business, and in 1938 the brewery and Monkseaton Arms were demolished. The harness room became a pet store, and later Lloyds bank, and a new Monkseaton Arms was built on the old site.'

- Retrieved from Sitelines

On both editions of the Ordnance Survey above can be seen the Brewery on Monkseaton Front Street. The site was to the east of the village on 'Seaside Lane' leading to Whitley Junction station and Whitley Park.

The second edition shows the rurality withering away, with the contrast Whitley and Monkseaton blurring. Whitley Junction Railway Station was now Monkseaton, connecting the area to Blyth and Tynemouth, and surrounded by village homes.

The brewery, still at the centre of the town, is now in the middle of a thriving small town directly connected to the tourist haven of Whitley Bay. The village itself has grown, likely due to its reputation as genteel and well to do area to live. By this point also the railway had changed course along its current route, as previously took a more inland route to North Shields.

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Photograph of the brewery around the turn of the century. The site was the centrepiece of the village and likely the largest building in the area, with its large chimney seen in its centre. Either a motorcar or a horse and carriage can be seen in the background.

Retrieved from the News Guardian

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.