Last Updated:

5 Sept 2020

Civil War Camp, Sunderland

Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland

54.907179, -1.385688

This is a

Military Camp

Founded in 

17th Century

Current status is

Demolished

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Now part of Sunderland City Centre

'In March 1644 the Scottish army established a temporary camp on the open ground between Sunderland and Bishopwearmouth. According to Summers it had originally straddled High Street, but by 1795, when the ground was levelled for building, was visible largely only in West Pann Field, between Pann lane (NZ 396 573) and the Rectory Park (NZ 392 570). "Two trenches and mounds of earth called the 'big dyke' and 'little dyke', then partially existed", running between 235 High Street and the north end of Lambton Street, and then to 125 High Street. There is reference in 1675 to "the Forts", and a cannon ball was found in 1815 on the site of 223 High Street.'

- Sitelines

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

4076554724_b6df6c95d4.jpg

Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.