24 Oct 2020
Charlie's Garden, Seaton Sluice
Seaton Sluice, Northumberland
This is a
Rock formation, previously cultivated land
Current status is
Now little more than a stump.
'Charlie’s Garden (sometimes spelled as Charley’s Garden) lies just off Collywell Bay Road in Seaton Sluice and is an isolated sandstone pinnacle which adopted its name from a local villager, Mr Charles Dockwray, who cultivated the top of it prior to the sea eroding the rocks between it and thereby separating it from the mainland.'
The two maps above illustrate the Seaton Sluice area in the latter half of the 19th century. Charlie's Garden (spelt Charley's here) can be seen as a small outcrop of rock adjacent to the sands at the village. It appears to be much larger at this point. Charlie was reputed to have utilised the rock up until the 1850s, so not too long before the publication of this map.
The 1924 map presents a similar landscape. Very little has changed in Seaton Sluice apart from the addition of Clarence Terrace to the south of the settlement. Charley's Garden is very clearly shown on this map.
The caption reads: 'Driven ashore off the coast of Northumberland, the paddle trawler Lily was bumped (something) and (something) against a rock known as “Charlie’s Garden” and is now so badly damaged that she is expected to become a total wreck. The photograph shows the vessel after going aground and the curiously named rock. (Daily Mirror Photograph)'
Credit: 'Seaton Valley, Northumberland past & present' Facebook Group
Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.