Wallsend, North Tyneside
Site is now housing
19 Jun 2020
Carville Hall, Wallsend
This is a
Current status is
'In about 1635, John Cosyn, draper of Newcastle, became a lease holder in Wallsend and built a large country home called Cosyn's Hall. This was known to have incorporated several Roman sculptured stones including an altar. The hall passed through the hands of the Lawson and Hewbank families before being sold to Robert Carr who renamed it Carville Hall. It can be seen in its own spacious grounds on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. On the same map, the line of Hadrian's Wall is shown as a strip of land about 20 metres wide dividing two fields. This strip was partly occupied by a drive leading to Carville Hall. A sketch by J Irwin Coates executed in 1879 shows the drive apparently on the line of the Wall with the ditch to the north. By the time of the second edition map the site had been covered with terraced housing. The drive to the hall had been incorporated into this development and renamed 'Roman Wall'. The Hall itself was demolished in 1898.'
See a full history of the site by the Arbeia Society at
The 1862 Edition further above the page illustrated Carville Hall. At this point Wallsend was nothing more but a hamlet closer to the dene and Wallsend Hall today. Where the high street is today, Carville was the name of the settlement and the Hall sat adjacent to it in the west. In its land were large gardens overlooking the Tyne and Stotts Farm to the west. Two tumuli, as in an ancient mound, were documented to be close by also.
By the second edition nothing more remained as the Hall was demolished in 1898 due to a large fire. By that point it was tenements, and its grandeur ended up nothing more than history.
Illustration of Carville Hall, 19th Century. This postcard shows Carville Hall after its rebuilt from presumably the south, as the gardens were more expansive at the back of the property. It is easy to see why the building was turned into tenements for local workers and families due to its size, and thanks to the area being taken over by terraced housing it was probably a no-brainer.
Retrieved from Sitelines
Engraving of Carville Hall dedicated by Aurelia Muss, 1790-3. The illustration shows the building before its rebuild.
Retrieved from Newcastle City Library
Carville Hall just before its demolition in 1898. This is a rare photograph of the hall and shows it in a rough state when it was tenements before it was knocked down to be terraced housing. The three windows on the left-hand side of the east face have been blocked in and painted.
Retrieved from Tyne & Wear Archives
Please note all pages are best viewed on desktop. On mobile, you may not be seeing all the content. 'Request Desktop View' for this page to see more content.