Fawcett St, 1862
Fawcett St, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

Fawcett St, 1898
Fawcett St, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Fawcett St, 1921
Fawcett St, 1921

Ordnance Survey, 1921

Fawcett St, 1862
Fawcett St, 1862

Ordnance Survey, 1862

1/3
Fawcett St, undated

Name: Fawcett Street Railway Station

Region: Sunderland

Date of Origin: 01/06/1853

Site Type: Railway Station

Condition: Demolished, entrance and gate posts survive

Status: Land occupied by Network Rail as an engineering yard. A blue plaque has been placed on the entrance walls and the drinking fountain is still extant. 

Last Updated: 23/05/2020

Fawcett Street station was opened by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway in 1853, to serve the route from Darlington, down the old Leamside Line, then Penshaw and what is now the Metro line through South Hylton. Only a year later it was taken over by the North Eastern Railway. Its building as seen above was primitive, only being a single storey, but handsome in its own right. For a burgeoning industrial city, the station was bound to outgrow itself in decades. 

This is exactly what happened and by 1879 the station closed. There was no physical connection between South Wearside and Tyneside, and travellers had to get to Monkwearmouth in order to arrive at South Shields or Newcastle. Therefore, the station was demolished in favour of a new principal station in the middle of the City Centre, connecting Tyneside with Sunderland via a bridge over the river Wear. The old station closed in August 1879 and was turned into housing. After a century or so it was then demolished, and only the entrance gates remain along with an old drinking fountain for thirsty travellers. These are still visible along Burdon Road. Have a quick look next time you're walking to town. 

For further detail about the station and the railways around Sunderland, it is highly recommended to visit Disused Stationswhich features in depth essays and histories on various lines in the north east.

FAWCETT STREET STATION,

SUNDERLAND