Shibdon Bank, coal shaft
6 Jun 2023
6 Jun 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - One of two coal shafts were situated in the field just north of Shibdon Bank in the 1850s. They were both illustrated as 'old', meaning they were out of use before the survey of that decade. There may be a connection with the 18th century Lands Colliery workings or potentially the Grand Lease pits during the 17th century.
The shaft was still extant in the 1890s, and appears to have either been covered other with farmyard buildings or was potentially reworked. The addition of buildings over the shaft in the latter half of the 19th century would imply some activity. The shaft was still extant in the 1940s and can just be seen on aerial photography from that era.
Ordnance Survey, 1946
The coal shaft can be seen in the small rectangular piece of land in the south west corner of the allotments. Source Historic England Archive (RAF photography) Historic England Photograph: raf_106g_uk_1193_rp_3313 flown 27/02/1946
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by