15 Jul 2022
15 Jul 2022
H. Jolliffe (1780s), Sowerby & Co. (1850s), Thiedemann & Wallis. (1880s), Priestman Collieries Ltd. (1910s)
Description (or HER record listing)
"This colliery is situated about 1½ miles south-west from Chester-le-Street, and was opened on August 1, 1831. It is held under lease of Colonel Jolliffe and Lady Byron by George Sowerby, Esq., and Partners. There are two coal pits and one engine pit.
The pumping engine is a high pressure of 80 horse power. The winding engine is also a high pressure of about 40 horse power. The coals are transmitted by the Stanhope and Tyne Railway to the drops at South Shields, a distance of about 14 miles."
Views of the Collieries (1844) (via Durham Mining Museum)
Ordnance Survey, 1896
A Pit, undated. Source: Hester-le-Street Heritage Group
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by