top of page
full size.png

trim01a

Trimdon Grange Colliery

Trimdon Grange

54.715041, -1.431699

Opened:

Closed:

1845

1968

Entry Created:

8 Aug 2023

Last Updated:

8 Aug 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Smith (1845), Matthew Forster (1852), South Hetton Co. (1850s), Walter Scott Ltd. (1880), East Hetton Collieries Ltd. (1937), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Trimdon Grange Colliery was formerly the property of the late Mr. Mathew Forster, and was purchased by its present owner Mr. Walter Scott, contractor, of Newcastle-on-Tyne, in August 1880, together with the adjoining colliery of East Hetton, also known as Kelloe. The shafts of Trimdon Grange Pit are situated within a few hundred yards of Trimdon Station of the Hartlepool and Ferryhill Railway, the colliery itself being situated upon the south edge of the Durham coal field."

- Official Report into the 1882 Disaster (via Durham Mining Museum)

"Trimdon Grange Colliery was sunk in May 1845, by Mr. Joseph Smith. In September the same year the Five Quarter seam was proved and opened out ; sinking operations were continued, and in 1847 the Main seam was opened out. In 1852 the colliery became the property of Messrs. Forsters. Sinking operations were recommenced in 1863, and the Low Main seam reached. In 1872 a new shaft was sunk to the Harvey seam, which was opened out in 1873. About this date the Five Quarter seam was worked out, and three years later, the Main seam was laid off. During all this period the pits were worked very irregularly, and were alike unprofitable to owners and unsatisfactory to the men employed. In 1880 the colliery was purchased by the present owner, Mr. Walter Scott of Newcastle, who has spent large sums in increasing and improving the plant, and is developing the resources of the undertaking, which is now worked on a large scale, and gives constant employment to over 700 men and boys. The Low Main and the Harvey seams produce coal of first-class quality. The latter is known in the London market as South Hartlepool Wallsend. On the 16th of February 1882, 71 men and boys lost their lives in this pit through an explosion."

- Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham (via Durham Mining Museum)

NEHL - Trimdon Grange Colliery was an extensive complex north of the original Trimdon Grange farm and Trimdon village. Even only a decade after opening, a substantial settlement had developed around the pit with a public house, school and post office all located around the pit. A number of pit rows had also developed to accomodate the pitmen. Many of these were single storey cottages such as at Reading Room Row and Duffheap Row.

The village further expanded in the 1910s, with large scale terraced developments to the south east of the pit, as well a further ameneties like pitmens clubs, churches and more schools. Some terraces and amenities survive today, though the pit has been fully reclaimed as farm land.

Ordnance Survey, 1919

Ordnance Survey, 1919

Coke Ovens at Trimdon Grange, 1924. Unknown Original Source

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Site of the colliery in 2023

Site of the colliery in 2023

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page