top of page
full size.png

tow02a

Hedleyhope Colliery

Tow Law

54.748582, -1.796598

Edward Pit

Opened:

Closed:

1836

1945

Entry Created:

13 Dec 2022

Last Updated:

13 Dec 2022

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Joseph Pease (1850s), Taylor, Smith, Bros. (1860s), Hedleyhope Coal Co. (1880s, 1923), Sir B. Samuelson & Co. Ltd. (1890s), Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1936)

Description (or HER record listing)

"Hedleyhill Colliery is worked by the Weardale Iron & Coal Co., and has been in operation about eighteen years. Here the Main Coal seam, 3 feet, the Five Quarter, 2 feet 9 inches, and the Ballarat, 20 inches, are being worked by several drifts. The output, which amounts to 500 tons per day, is nearly all converted into coke, and employment is given to about 500 men and boys. Hedleyhope and East Hedleyhope are collieries worked by Sir. W. Samuelson & Co., at which places similar seams to the above are being worked and large quantities of coke is made."

Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum

NEHL - Hedleyhope Colliery was a fairly large working via a horizontal drift mine just west of the multiple coke ovens. A substantial slag heap stood close to the drift, as well as a few terraces and a colliery smithy. A longer set of terraces built for the workers stood on the road to South Cornsay which are still in situ.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page