No. 1 Pit
5 Sept 2021
Rev. Ed Lawson (1860s), Ashington Coal Co. (1880s -)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
The remains of Longhirst Colliery and worker's village are visible on historical air photos. The colliery and associated accomodation is depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1898 but not the 1866 edition. In 1898 these features were confined to a triangle of land adjacent to the main line railway/ The colliery comprised several structures, a reservoir, spoil heaps and was linked to the mainline by a series of wagonways. The colliery was hemmed in by an L shaped arrangement of terraces with garden plots : a single long terrace to the north and two aligned terraces to the west b. By 1947 the terrace to the north had been demolished and replaced by three short terraces. The more southerly of the terraces had also been demolished and was overgrow, through the garden plots were still intact. The colliery had been abandoned by this time, the land overgrown and only a few structures still stood. Recent imagery shows that only two of the three northern terraces survive and the remainder of this colliery and accomodation complex is now under woodland.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.