top of page
full size.png

N28497

New Delaval Colliery

Newsham, Blyth

55.113961, -1.542709

Forster & Richard Pits

Opened:

Closed:

1859

1955

Entry Created:

3 Sept 2021

Last Updated:

13 Jun 2022

Redeveloped

Condition:

Owners: 

Hartley Main Collieries Ltd. (1929 - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

The New Delaval Colliery and brickworks are depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1898, but appears to post-date the 1865 edition. By the date of the earliest air photos, 1947 the brickworks had expanded up to the railway line and bricks were being stored on the site of the worker's village to the south (which has largely been demolished). The site of the colliery and brickworks has now been relandscaped as a golf course.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

New Delaval Pit, 1905. Source: Billy Embleton

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Site of New Delaval Colliery today - a golf course and housing development.

Site of New Delaval Colliery today - a golf course and housing development.

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page