full size.png

N18370

Bebside Colliery

Bebside, Blyth

55.126057, -1.559730

Horton Grange Colliery

A Pit

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Lambert & Co. (1850s), Lambert, Nicholson & Co. (1860s), Bebside & Choppington Coal Co. (1880s), Bebside Coal Co. Ltd. (1890s -)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

This site can be seen in early mapping to have been typical of much of industrial southeast Northumberland. The colliery buildings are central; links to the railway are present, with pit terraces arranged around. Such planned developments are noted elsewhere in the northeast - though sometimes the pit terraces were arranged to form three sides of a square, the colliery forming the fourth.

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Bebside Colliery, 1910. R Johnston of Gateshead.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0