top of page
full size.png

hwell02b

Hartley West Farm, coal pit

Holywell

55.073932, -1.483935

Opened:

Closed:

1814

1819

Entry Created:

16 Jun 2023

Last Updated:

16 Jun 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Lord Delaval

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - A pit operated in this location from 1814 to 1819. It was operated on the Delaval estate and neighboured the Seaton Sluice waggonway which it probably utilised. It is shown on an early 19th century map of coal workings in the area, though is actually illustrated the wrong side of the waggonway (unless the course of the railway moved or the Ordnance Survey is in fact incorrect).

An old shaft is located in the vicinity on the Ordnance Survey of 1860 (surveyed 1858).

Ordnance Survey, 1860

Ordnance Survey, 1860

The pit was located at the bottom of this aerial shot from 2023.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page