top of page
full size.png

hams01a

Westwood Colliery

Hamsterley

54.898768, -1.822594

High Westwood Colliery

Opened:

Closed:

1876

Unknown

Entry Created:

2 Jun 2023

Last Updated:

2 Jun 2023

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Consett Iron Co. Ltd. (1880s)

Description (or HER record listing)

NEHL - High Westwood Colliery was constructed in 1876 after the closure of the 'Low' Westwood Colliery. It was opened by the Consett Iron Co. who operated many of the pits in the area as part of their supply chain. There was a long line of coke ovens stretching over to the Hamsterley Colliery on both sides. A small pit village also developed around the site, with at least 4 terraces, a school, post office, Methodist Church and quarry all developed in the area.

It was still operating into the 1940s, and was linked by tramway to a drift at Allendale cottages. By this time, residential development had exploded in conjuction with the growth of the pits.

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Ordnance Survey, 1897

Postcard of High Westwood Colliery, undated. Original source unknown.

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page