full size.png

D70621

Elvet coal mines

Durham

54.768519,-1.572387

South Engine Pit

Opened:

18th c

Closed:

20th c

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

17 Jan 2022

Owners: 

Backhouse, Mounsey & Co. (1840s), T Crawford (1860s), Elvet Colliery Co. Ltd (1900s)

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

The Enclosure Award of Elvet Moor in 1772 refers to some mines. Elvet Colliery was sold in 1815 and probably abandoned in 1816. A new Elvet Colliery started in 1828 and produced coal for some years (1). A shaft is extant on the 1st edition OS map.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0