top of page
full size.png

D16282

Castle Eden Colliery

Castle Eden

54.735486,-1.322090

Opened:

Closed:

1842

1959

Entry Created:

22 Oct 2021

Last Updated:

22 Oct 2021

Reclaimed

Condition:

Owners: 

Richard Greenwell & Co. (1840), Messrs. Cook & Co. (1850s), Castle Eden Coal Co. (1879), Horden Collieries Ltd. (1900), National Coal Board (1947 -)

Description (or HER record listing)

Sunk in 1840 by Richard Greenwell, with changing ownership up until closure in 1959 (1-3).

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Ordnance Survey, 1898

Castle Eden Colliery, 1900. Source: ppparchive.durham.gov.uk

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png
bottom of page