full size.png

c029a

Cocken Pit

Cocken

54.821206, -1.537990

Opened:

19th c

Closed:

19th c

Reclaimed

Condition:

Last Updated:

26 Jul 2022

Owners: 

Earl of Durham

HER Info (unless otherwise noted)

NEHL - A medium scale working owned by the Earl of Durham could be found north of Cocken Cottage and Finchale Priory. This mine only operated for a few decades in the 19th century. It was connected via waggonway to the Lambton Railway and featured a number of buildings and a brick field to the south. By the 1890s it was disused. There was a pumping engine in Bowburn Wood which was likely connected.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

Historic Environment Records

Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past

Tyne and Wear: Sitelines

HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors. 

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0