Newton Cap Colliery
2 Feb 2023
26 Jun 2023
W. C. Stobart & Co. (1859), Henry Stobart & Co. (1860s), North Bitchburn Fireclay Co. Ltd. (1937)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - Newton Cap Colliery (or Toronto Colliery) stood north of Bishop Auckland for over 100 years until 1967. It was linked southwards to the Bishop Auckland to Durham railway, featuring at least two lines of coke ovens and a large pit heap in the south west of the pit.
It was intrinsically connected with the village of Toronto which owes its existence to the pit. There was 2 churches and a school. The village still exists. At its peak in the 1910s, 899 people were employed both above and below, which signifies its importance to the area.
Ordnance Survey, 1897
Photograph of a Newton Cap pit pony pulling a wagon, likely at Toronto village. Unknown original source.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by