20 Oct 2022
3 Aug 2023
Bearpark Coal Co. (1872), Bearpark-Brancepeth Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1880s), Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. (1890s), National Coal Board (1947)
Description (or HER record listing)
"The Bearpark Colliery was sunk in 1872, coal being got the same year. There are three shafts, 1, 2, and 3, the seams worked are the Busty and Hutton, the former being 66 fathoms deep, and the latter about 9 fathoms above it. Coke is made here, and 50 of the ovens are the Simon Carves type, which, with the chemical department, produces benzol oil and ammonia from the coal as by-products, as well as coal-tar. Altogether there are about 1000 men and boys employed at this colliery."
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham via Durham Mining Museum
NEHL - The Bearpark Colliery complex was an extensive complex dominating the village, which grew around it. There were 8 colliery rows, as well as Aldin Grange Terrace to the south, with small tramways traversing the streets to transport coal. As with every village, there were Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels.
Ordnance Survey, 1890s
Bearpark Colliery undated. Original source unknown.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Aerial shot of the Bearpark Colliery site in 2023.
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by