full size.png

6994

Ryhope Colliery

Ryhope, Sunderland

54.876114,-1.381370

Opened:

Closed:

Redeveloped

Condition:

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Lord Londonderry (1860s), Ryhope Coal Co. Ltd. (1880s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info

Opened in 1857, closed 25 November 1966. There were two associated pits - north and west pits. Owned by Lord Londonderry, then Ryhope Coal Company Ltd and from 1947, the National Coal Board. In 1894 2000 men and boys worked here. Daily output was 2200 tons of coal, a small amount used for coke. The colliery village included pitmen's dwellings of "uninviting aspect" {Whellan 1894} in long rows a mile in length, chapels, a school (for 337 boys and 225 girls), a miner's hall, shops and large Cooperative stores. The miner's hall was brick-built, constructed in 1880, and improved circa 1894 costing £1800. It had a large lecture hall to seat 800, reading, recreation and billiard rooms, a committee and secretary's room and a library with 200 volumes.

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0