Clara Vale Colliery
Clara Vale, Gateshead
8 Sept 2021
Stella Coal Co. Ltd. (1893), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Shown on 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. Opened in July 1893, closed in 1966. It was owned by the Stella Coal Company Ltd, until the National Coal Board took it over in 1947. Whellan described [in 1894] how the colliery had electric lighting and an associated brickworks. Daily output of coal was 300 tons. There were two shafts, each 68 fathoms deep, to the Brockwell Seam.
Ordnance Survey, 1898
Clara Vale Colliery, date unknown. Source: Durham Mining Communities, Facebook
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us