3 Sept 2021
5 Sept 2021
Messrs. Easton & Co (1850s)
Description (or HER record listing)
Oakwellgate Colliery lay between Oakwellgate Lane and Easton Place, a venture of Thomas Easton, who designed Frairs Goose Pumping Engine (HER 1012). The colliery was won on 29 May 1842 and the bells of St. Mary were rung to celebrate. It had a short life. The Low Main Seam was abandoned in 1858 and shortly afterwards there was an inrush of water which could not be overcome by the pumping machinery then available, so the workings were permanently closed. Warehouses, later Carr's confectionary works were built over the shaft. During the fuel shortage of 1919 proposals were made to open the shaft, but without result.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by