full size.png

4031

Heaton Colliery

Heaton, Newcastle

54.996073,-1.584884

High Pit

E Pit

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

5 Sept 2021

Owners: 

James Potts (1820s), Dalton & Co. (1850s)

HER Info

Heaton High Pit. The 2nd edition OS mapping shows the pit covered by trees, so probably out of use by 1895. The tree-planted mound (known as The Spinney) is believed to have been planted to commemorate those killed in the Heaton Colliery disaster of 3rd May 1815. A plaque was later set up by the National Union of Mine-Workers Northumberland area in November 1966. However, tree planting was common on disused mine sites and it is argued that this site has no significance to the disaster at all. (See HER 4149 for more information about the disaster).

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0