6 Sept 2021
J. Lamb, Potters, Jobling's Trustees (1850s), R. O. Lamb (1860s), Terale & Kirton (1880s), Kirton, Rowell & Dodd (1880s), Walbottle Coal & Firebrick Co. (1890s), Lemington Colliery Co. Ltd. (1930s)
HER Info (unless otherwise noted)
Walbottle Colliery, Blucher Pit. This colliery was either sunk or renamed in 1815 following the Battle of Waterloo when two mines were named in honour of the victorious generals, Wellington and Blucher. Walbottle Colliery (HER 4229) opened before 1828. Owners in the 1850s were J. Lamb, Potters and Joblings Trustees, then R.O. Lamb, then Terale & Kirton, later Kirton, Rowell & Dodd, Walbottle Coal and Firebrick Co and lastly Lemington Colliery Co ltd. Blucher Pit closed in 1867 but was reopened in 1900 by the Throckley Coal Company, the owners of pits at Heddon, Throckley and Newburn. In 1924/5 the Blucher Pit was closed in favour of workings at the reopened Coronation site (SMR 3984). Blucher started up again in 1938 but final closure came in 1956.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.