Townley Main Colliery
3 Sept 2021
11 Oct 2021
Stella Coal Co. (1890s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)
Description (or HER record listing)
Townley Main Colliery was served by the Townley Main Wagonway, (SMR 3317), which linked to it. The 1st edition OS mapping shows the Emma Pit, a gasometer and smithy in the complex. Opened 1845 and closed April 1968. Owned by the Stella Coal Co in the 1850s, and from 1947 the National Coal Board. Whellan reported that in 1894 the colliery produced 550 tons of coal per day.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by