Jarrow, South Tyneside
3 Sept 2021
Simon Temple (1803), Thomas & Robert Brown (1820s), Drewitt Brown (1840s), W.Blackett, N. Wood, Anderson & Philipson (1850s)
Jarrow Colliery, was connected to Jarrow Staith (SMR 2260) by a wagonway (SMR 2259). The first edition OS mapping shows the extents of the spoil heaps. Jarrow Colliery was opened in 1803 by Simon Temple who leased the coal royalties from the Dean and Chapter of Durham Cathedral. Subsequent owners included Thomas and Robert Brown, D. Brown, W. Blackett and N. Wood, Anderson and Philipson (1850s). Several explosions - 25 September 1817, 6 were killed; 17 January 1826, 42 were killed; 15 March 1828, 8 were killed; 3 August 1830, 42 were killed; 21 August 1845, 39 were killed. It closed in 1851 after another explosion but was subsequently purchased by the Hetton Coal Company and worked from their other pits. Picture by TH Hair 1844.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us