3 Sept 2021
8 Nov 2023
Messr Johnson (1860s), Preston Coal Co. (1880s)
Description (or HER record listing)
NEHL - There was two Preston Colliery complexes - This one was the first, and was located on Hawkeys Lane next to Camp Cottage and just south of Hawkey's Hall where the cycling ground was later situated.
The pit was sunk in 1755, though had disappeared before the 1890s. It is apparent the map surveyed in 1858, with a small pit heap, a t shaped building and small shaft building. It was never connected by rail, at least above ground.
The pit worked the Bensham Seam, with an advertisement in an 1866 edition of the Chronicle seeking 10 or 12 hewers and 2 putters, who transported the tubs. These would likely have been young boys. It likely had only a dozen or so pitmen as it was a small complex.
There is no trace today, and was later replaced by the North Shields Cycling Ground and later Appleby Park (https://www.northeastheritagelibrary.co.uk/sports-archive/2124/appleby-park)
Ordnance Survey, 1865
The site of the 1st Preston Colliery, later Appleby Park in 2023.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by