full size.png

17181

Rising Sun Colliery

Wallsend, Newcastle

55.008412,-1.534956

Reclaimed

Last Updated:

22 Sept 2021

Owners: 

Wallsend & Hebburn Coal Co. Ltd. (1910s - 1947), National Coal Board (1947 -)

HER Info

Coal reserves from the lower seams in the area were mined from Walker Colliery until 1918 and later from the Rising Sun Colliery which was sunk in 1906. A second shaft was sunk between 1912 and 1915 and in 1934, the shaft was deepened to reach the Brockwell seam. The Rising Sun was selected by the NCB for a major refit costing £2.9million. A third shaft to the Beaumont seam, was opened in 1960 to improce access and ventilation. The rebuilding was complete by 1961 and production rose from 1800 to 3000 tons per day. In 1964 1750 men were employed. However, for every ton of coal raised, seven tons of water was pumped from the mine. The colliery closed in April 1969 ending the history of mining in Wallsend and Heaton. Now the Rising Sun Country Park.

Ordnance Survey, 1948

Ordnance Survey, 1948

'Sketches of The Coal Mines in Northumberland and Durham' T.H.Hair, published in 1844

Rising Sun, 1910. Source: Tanfield Railway Blog

Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us

icon0821.png

Historic Maps provided by

nls-logo.png

Version 1.0