Elswick Coal Mines
3 Sept 2021
15 Feb 2023
Description (or HER record listing)
Men were digging for coal on Elswick moor as early as 1293, but in 1330 the Prior and Convent of Tynemouth granted a formal lease of the coal mines for $5. In 1378 the coal pits with way and staiths were let for $40. In the 1530s Christopher Mitford had leases of the Elswick pits, with liberty to take timber from Elswick woods for shoring, and maintaining staiths and houses, plus way leave and staith leave. The mines next went to the Anderson family, and though the rent reached $68 in 1578 it had fallen to $20 in 1608 "by reason of the decay of the mine". No precise location is known.
Have we missed something, made a mistake, or have something to add? Contact us
Historic Environment Records
Durham/Northumberland: Keys to the Past
Tyne and Wear: Sitelines
HER information as described above is reproduced under the basis the resource is free of charge for education use. It is not altered unless there are grammatical errors.
Historic Maps provided by