Name: Manor House

Region: Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne

Date of Origin: 16th -17th Century

Site Type: Manor House

Condition: Not in existance

Status: Parkside Garage on Welbeck Road occupies the site

Last Updated: 18/05/2020

Address: 35 Welbeck Road, close to the roundabout crossing Welbeck Road and Allendale Road 

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1385

"In 1825 Mackenzie published the following: "There is a curious old house on the south side of the village (Byker), now a public house known by the name of the Blue Bell. The walls, like those of all ancient buildings, are very thick...". In 1844 G.B. Richardson sketched it - a rectangular 3 bay 2 storey building with attic (dormer window) and, attached at one end, a single bay 2 storey block, with an external end stair. It is marked, in Gothic letters, as "Manor House" on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan. It was occupied by the Dent family in 1601, and later by the Lawsons." - Twsitelines

Byker Manor House, 1864

MANOR HOUSE,

BYKER